Called to Serve

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 24, 2013--Week 52


Hello!  

So, yesterday one of the councilors from the stake presidency came to our branch and gave them a pretty clear amonestation (that´s a word in English, right?).  And, it was just awesome.  It reminded me of Mosiah 8:18 where it says that God gives His children power to become a great benefit to their fellow men.  We´ve seen a lot of the stake leadership here in the last couple of weeks (our branch really needs it), and it has been really powerful to me to see these powerful priesthood leaders here.  I’m going to share a scripture that this brother shared with our branch leadership.  It’s in Doctrine and Covenants 6:34-37.  I don´t really have much commentary for this scripture, because it speaks for itself.  But, this is a promise and a commandment for each one.  As we heed it, we will see the promised blessings.  As we go our ways and sin no more, performing the work that we are commanded to perform, Earth and hell can not prevail.  We will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

I love you guys!  Have a great week!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Andrew Nickerl

What a great week!  So, first of all, my new comp´s name is Elder Fernández.  He´s from Peru, and because of not getting his visa on time, he´s already been in the mission for a while, so I´m not training as much as I thought I might be.  He´s a stud and we get along great.  It´s been pretty cool to learn about the differences between here and Peru, especially in the Spanish.  Like three or four times this week he´s looked at me kind of weird after I say something that´s completely normal here because apparently it´s vulgar in Peru.  Kind of fun...

So, this week we´re having success!  We´re still struggling teaching a lot of lessons, because we simply don´t have very many investigators.  But, we do have two that are awesome.  One of them is named José Daniel, we found him contacting in the park in Margaritas a few weeks ago, and we started teaching him more since two Saturdays ago. And, since then, he´s read until Alma 25 in the Book of Mormon.  WOW.  And he’s been to church two weeks in a row.  He’s going to be baptized the 9th of March.  The other is named Carlos.  He was a reference from a brother in one of the wards in Comitán that works in Margaritas, and we haven´t been able to see him that much, but he also came to church and he loved it.  So, we´re psyched.  We’re going to invite him to be baptized this week.  And we’re going to find more people to teach.  Because the members are more excited now after seeing these guys in church, and they´re hopefully going to give us some references :)

Anyway, that’s it.  I´m out of time :) I love you all lots and I hope that you have a wonderful week!  Congratulations on all of your good work on everything!  Adam and Jared, I´m so happy that you guys got accepted to BYU-Provo.  Congrats!!!  That’s really really awesome.  Jacob, great work with lacrosse.  You’re going to wreck on me when I get home.  Anna, great work with everything you do and being diligent in your obedience and family history work.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support!  I love you all!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Andrew Nickerl

P.S.  Mom here the answers to your Spanish questions:

My new comp is from Peru, and there they call it the lunch meal "almuerzo".  But, here in Mexico, I´ve hardly heard the word "almuerzo".  The meal we eat in the afternoon is called very simply "la comida" ("the meal").  "La cena" is basically a snack around 9 at night.  Chorizo is not something I knew about before, but it´s a red sausage that you grind up and put in tacos or eggs or quesadillas or something (that´s what they do with it here anyway).  "Salchicha" here is hot dog.  And they do eat it a lot.  It´s kind of the poor food because it´s the cheapest meat that exists.  Potatoes are "papas", and we don´t eat them here like we do there, but the put them a lot in stew.  We eat stew... or soup... I don´t really know what it is.  I didn’t like it when I got here, but I like it a lot more now.  And, vegetables are "verduras".  So, that´s how it goes here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment